PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
STATE CONFERENCE 2020
People with Disabilities WA invites you to join us for our Inaugural State Conference on 19-20 November 2020 at the Bendat Parent and Community Centre in Wembley.
With the theme “Celebrating Self-Advocacy” this will be WA’s first conference led exclusively by people with disabilities.
This conference welcomes everyone, including people who identify as having a disability or mental health issue; carers, family and friends; service providers and community sector professionals; educators; health workers and the wider community.
It will be a fully accessible event, with subsidised places available for people with disabilities and family members/carers of people with disabilities.
People with Disabilities WA is the peak body and key advocacy service for Western Australians with a disability. We specialise in advocating for the rights and empowering the voices of people with disability in Western Australia.
Evolve Events and Training is a local conference management service which is partnering with PWdWA to manage conference operations and coordinate the project.
The Conference Reference Group
The conference will be hosted by PWdWA and its operational partner Evolve Events and is guided by our reference group, consisting entirely of people with disabilities.
The project objectives are:
- To establish a WA conference that is led by people with disabilities.
- To develop and strengthen the agency and advocacy skills of people with disabilities.
- To provide disability information, resources and opportunities to organisational and peer leaders, and share the lived experience of people with disabilities.
- To provide a platform for addressing contemporary and emerging issues and sharing new approaches and research.
- To provide a forum for resource sharing, ideas exchange and collaboration.
- To raise the profile of disability issues and promote positive attitudes to disability in the wider community.
- To empower people with disabilities to have the confidence to self advocate.
- Showcase and promote best practice inclusive event management.